Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Mail to DEV

Hi Deb,

you may be surprised to know my views, but i believe you will be happier doing a job, which will give you the scope to help people in a more direct manner.
There was a time when i too had similar feelings... ... feeling as if i will run away from home ... don't think you are the only one going through this.
There are numerous people who have gone through such phases and if you search, you can find people with much more hardship, in comparision to which, your hardship is nothing.
Yes, coming to banglore, hyderabad, pune etc and trying for jobs is one option for you, but i am not sure if you can cope with the stress through which you have to go for a unknown amount of time, till you find a job. Finding a job will not be easy for you, as you have to start every thing all over again, re-learn everything again, which is not easy.
I felt really bad when you said you felt like running away from home. I have also felt like that several times. This is natural to happen to young boys from middle class families. We are not secured financially, i mean our fathers have not amassed quite a lot of wealth so that we can sit back and relax !! we have always this fear of uncertain future.
To cope with this pressure you either have to be a philosopher or you have to work your way out. work your way out means to become financially independent ... either you take up some job, not necessarily in IT, it could be marketting, advertising, anything ... It's upto you to find out where you fit exactly.
But, Like I said before, I feel you will be happier doing a job, which will give you the scope to help people in a more direct manner. Like joining an NGO. You may not get a handsome salary, but you will be engaged and will feel happy for the work you will be doing. There was a time, when I was in bbsr, i was also going through a similar phase. Then I used to spend sometime in the Ramkrishna mission library near our house in old town. And while going through some of the monthly news magazines of the mission, i found that they badly need educated and young volunteers for mission works carried out at different parts of the country. They would provide you food and accomodation and you are expected to teach unprivilaged children or help out in the primary heath centres run by the mission or help out in some administrative work in the mission. And I was really tempted to join, but i kept that as one last option. So I would suggest you, to keep something like this as the last option, i hope you get to do something more meaningful. I also saw a similar adv for Aurobindo ashram in Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
The reason i am telling this to you is, in case you feel like running away from home and do *ANYTHING* to survive, you should think about this option. For more information you can refer the weekly/monthly news-magazines published by Ramakrishna mission( I dont remember the name of the magazine), or contact the mission directly.
You know, this is also not really easy. Our ambition can at times be such a hinderance in our peace. But, I am sure whoever participates in such kind of activty will definitely get a valuable experience, which can come useful at some later part of life.
So, this is just one window from my side. I don't say that, just jump in. Take your time, try to build your own destiny and in case you get desparate at some point, just think of this as an great option available to you.

Yours truly,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home